1967 Pickett Racing Corvette
The history of this race car is unique in automotive history, not simply because of the races and championship that it’s won, and not because the documentation is so complete, but because it was there at the beginning of Greg Pickett’s career, a legend in Trans Am Racing. Champion of the 1978 Trans Am season in a Corvette, his illustrious racing career has spanned four decades and he’s the only driver in Trans Am history to win a race in each of those decades, the latest was July of 2005. He is still competing today, a determined and inspiring champion.
Proudly offered today by the third owner for over 30 years.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS EXCLUSIVE OFFERING PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW OR CALL MARK AT 602-390-5783
Unique Racing History
Half of a two-car team formed by Greg Pickett and his friend Dr. Bill Geen, this Corvette has raced in Trans Am, IMSA, SCCA and many historic race groups including HMSA, SVRA, VARA and HSR West from 1967 to 2007. Competitions include professional and amateur races at some of the most famous tracks in the country, Riverside, Brainerd, Ontario, Laguna Seca (view historic video), Phoenix Intl. Raceway and Sears Point just to mention a few. Competing with legendary drivers and those that would become so, the entry lists that this car and team raced with reads like a who’s who of motor racing; Peter Gregg, John Greenwood, Hurley Haywood, Jerry Hansen, Elliott Forbes-Robinson, Bob Tullius and more.
Historic American Muscle Pedigree
Racing with a 427 cu.in. L88 motor classified it A Production, this class was reserved by SCCA for the biggest, fastest sports cars, Corvettes, Cobras, Mustangs, Camaros, etc. Crowds in the ten of thousands flocked to tracks to watch these monsters race and to be near their outrageous thunder, they were the giants of the day!
Making History Race by Race
Dr. Geen bought his Corvette new in 1967 and almost immediately he began to modify it for competition hill climbs and auto crosses, but after the first road course event the transformation began to full race car and has been one ever since. California was the epicenter of motor sports in the west so the engineering and development of this car was cutting edge for the day. Dr. Geen with Pickett’s engineering expertise developed his car into one of the finest Corvette racers in the country and won numerous races during his career in the driver’s seat until retiring from racing in 1976.
AN AMERICAN RACING ICON
While it would grace the confines of any museum or collection, make no mistake this is a race car… capable of winning today any A Production race, against any A Production legal car, anywhere in the world! This champion’s pedigree identifies it as “an important car.” Add to this the quality of preparation, engineering and condition, and you may say it’s the best there is. As an investment to hold for the future, a highlight of a car collection or a racer that you campaign in historic competition this “American Racing Icon” is a gold standard of collectibles.
Additional Features & Highlights
- Purchased new by Dr. Geen as a 427 cu.in. Coupe. The original California pink slip title is still in his name because as a dedicated race car transferring title upon sale, was not necessary.
- Sold directly by the third owner, originally purchased in 1986. Save on auction fees or broker commissions.
- Always kept in climate-controlled garage and transported exclusively to select auto shows.
- Original body, doors and frame with V.I.N. number tag still intact. Serial #194377S104044
- Programs and entry lists from original races fill a full loose-leaf scrapbook.
- A letter from Greg Pickett authorizing use of his team’s name upon restoration, also photos of him with the car at the first race after restoration was completed in 2002.
- The last “A Production Champion for the 1978 season” before SCCA retired the class forever.
- Continuous log book records from 1972 to today (SCCA didn’t require books prior to that).
- SVRA “Sports Car Vintage Racing Association” Medallion Award recognizing it as a significant historic race car.
- Multiple original documents, press and promotional articles referring to the car in print and online. Click Here to View Samples >
Best of all, after forty years of racing, it’s still a Corvette with original exterior stainless steel trim, door handles, gas cap door, tail lights and grill, turn signal lights, hood prop, head light doors (non-functional), wing windows, original dash and trim, cranks, doorknobs, glove box, shifter and door panels, etc.Serious inquiries only. For appointments to view the car, please fill out the Contact Us form.